Moscow can be an expensive city to travel too, although booking hotels in advance often gives significant discounts and offers. Having said that, transport is relatively affordable and exploring the Moscow Metro is like being in an art museum; parks, churches and free walking tours provide a great way to save money, and it is possible to find deals at restaurants to suit all budgets.
Tipping in Moscow is not as widely expected as in other countries of the world. Tip tour guides around 10% of their daily rate, but in taxis, hotels and restaurants only if the service warrants it.
Check out the currency conversions from the Russian Rouble here.
A few examples
Food and drink
- Coffee: 65 - ₽ 150 (US$ 2).
- Beer: ₽ 300 (US$ 4).
- Small bottle of water: ₽ 100 (US$ 1.30).
- Two course meal in a restaurant: ₽ 1.20 (US$ 0).
- Fixed-price lunch menu deal: 400 - ₽ 600 (US$ 8.10).
- Single metro ticket: ₽ 55 (US$ 0.70).
- Taxi from Moscow Domodedovo Airport to the centre: 1000 - ₽ 2,500 (US$ 33.70).
- Single bed in a shared dorm room: from ₽ 600 (US$ 8.10).
- Double room in a budget hotel: from ₽ 1.20 (US$ 0).
- Well-rated, central hotels: from ₽ 3 (US$ 0).
- Luxury hotels: from ₽ 10 (US$ 0.10).